Thursday, September 16, 2010

Little Miracles

Today I am so thankful for little miracles and for the faith of a little 6 year old boy.

Our family was blessed to be able to go on an amazing vacation to Mexico in August. We were all so excited as we had been to the hotel before and knew the fun that was in store for us. Carson carefully packed his Transformer backpack the night before we left. He brought all of his most prized posessions including his blue blankie. This boy has not slept a single night in his life without his blue blankie. The flight went perfectly and he was as happy as can be with his DS in one hand and his blankie in the other.

When we arrived at the hotel Erin checked in and then took the kids to the lobby bar to get their first "Miami Vice" of the trip. They couldn't wait one more second. After checking into our room Carson realized that he had left his backpack in the bar and we rushed back to get it. The backpack was no where to be found. We asked everyone in sight if they had seen it but had no success. The hotel concierge was amazing and helped us file a report assuring us that if anyone turned it in they would contact us immediately.

That night and each night throughout the week was very difficult. There were many tears shed and I held him as he cried himself to sleep. I don't think that I have prayed so hard in a long time. Each time I prayed I had an overwhelming sense of peace and a confirmation that everything would be ok. Every morning Carson would remind me how many days we had left in Mexico and how many chances the person with his backpack had to turn it in. He was so sweet and so good. He would cry quiet tears and then let me know that he was ok. We searched every inch of the hotel.

The day came when it was time to leave Mexico and return home. I remember feeling an overwhelming sense of sadness as we drove away knowing that the chance of us ever seeing Carson's things again was very, very small. I still knew that everything would be ok but was having a hard time understanding how. As our plane started to take off Carson buried his head in my lap and sobbed. The realization that he was leaving his blankie in Mexico had set in and he was so sad. He is such a good kid and it was so hard to see him like that.

We had been home from Mexico for 2 weeks when I received an email from the hotel informing us that someone had turned in a backpack matching the description in the missing item report that we had filed. They attached pictures and asked us to let them know if this was our backpack. When I opened the attachments I couldn't believe what I saw. It was Carson's backpack and every single thing was in it. When I showed him the pictures happy tears streamed down his cheeks and he quietly said, "Mom, Heavenly Father answered my prayers".

Photobucket

Photobucket

We received a package from Mexico today and I am thankful for so many reasons. I am thankful to see the blue blankie that I brought my little boy home from the hospital in. I am thankful for someone in Mexico who is honest. I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who answers prayers and is mindful of me and my 6 year old little boy. I am thankful that our family was given a little miracle to teach us and to remind us of these things.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

What a neat experience for Carson. Glad you had a little miracle and felt God's love for your family.

Carrie and Jon said...

What a sweet boy!!! I wish I had that kind of faith!

Jamie said...

That is so sweet it brought tears to my eyes. I'm glad his prayers were answered!

The Hendricks Family said...

Thanks for sharing that experience. Carson is such a sweet boy I am so glad that his prayers were answered.

Tiffinee said...

Love LOVE this story!! Cute Carsi!! Who wouldn't go do ANYTHING to give that kid a miracle?? Obviously HE was listening......